The Moto E has proved to be one of the best-selling smartphones for its manufacturer and the secret of its success lies in its decent hardware specifications at a very affordable price. Despite the fact that Motorola sold it only through select online stores, the Moto E made its impact, especially in developing countries where price plays a key factor in the sale of a commodity.
Having tasted such a success, it was just expected that Motorola will come out with a new version of the Moto E just like it did in the case of the Moto X and G. The 2nd Gen Moto E (2015) features upgraded hardware as compared to its predecessor at almost the same price. The new phone has been launched in the 3G and the 4G/LTE variants.
Since the CDMA variant of the Moto E 2015 has an unlockable bootloader, it’s not possible the device at the moment. However, if you own the GSM model of the new Moto E (codename: Condor) and you want to root your phone and install a custom recovery, you can easily do that. Before you proceed to root your Moto E 2015, please unlock the bootloader of your device first using our detailed tutorial:
- Your phone must have an unlocked bootloader.
- Download Minimal ADB and Fastboot tool: mfastboot-v2.zip | Mirror
- Download TWRP Recovery image file depending on the model of your Moto E 2015:
- Also download the flashable SuperSU root package: UPDATE-SuperSU-vx.x.zip
- Download and install the Motorola USB drivers on your PC.
- Go to phone Settings> Developer options and enable USB Debugging on your Moto E.
Root Moto E 2015 (GSM)
- Unzip the mfastboot-v2.zip file.
- Rename the downloaded TWRP image file as “recovery.img” and copy it to mfastboot-v2 folder.
- Copy the UPDATE-SuperSU-vx.x.zip file to your phone.
- Now reboot your 2nd Gen Moto E into the Bootloader Mode. You can do it using either of the methods given below:
- Turn off your phone and then press and hold the Volume Down + Power buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Connect your Moto G to computer using the USB cable. Open the mfastboot-v2 folder, launch a command window, type the following command and press the Enter key:
adb reboot bootloader
- Having rebooted your Moto E to the Bootloader Mode, open mfastboot-v2 folder and launch a command window inside the folder. To do so, place the mouse pointer at an empty space in the folder, then press Shift key+Right-click on mouse and select Open command window here option.
- To root your Moto E 2015 without installing TWRP Recovery:
- Enter the following command.
mfastboot.exe boot recovery.img
- When your phone boots into TWRP.
- Tap the Install option, navigate to UPDATE-SuperSU-vx.x.zip file and install it.
- Enter the following command.
- To root and install TWRP Recovery:
Issue the following command:
mfastboot.exe flash recovery recovery.img
- Now type the command given below to boot the phone into recovery mode:
mfastboot.exe reboot bootloader
- Then highlight the Recovery option using the Volume keys and press the Power button to select it.
- In TWRP mode, tap the Install option, go to UPDATE-SuperSU-vx.x.zip and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation slider to flash SuperSU package.
- Now go back to the TWRP main menu and select Reboot> System.
Done! Congrats, you have successfully rooted and install TWRP recovery on your Moto E 2015. If you have any questions regarding the tutorial or if you just want to share your experience with us, please drop us a comment below!
Some Other Useful Tutorials:
- How to Remove Bootloader Unlocked Warning on Moto E 2015
- How to Restore Moto E 2015 to Stock Firmware